Shikha Dalmia gets right to the point:
President Barack Obama walked into the Oval Office with a veritable halo over his head. In the eyes of his backers, he could say or do no wrong because he had evidently descended directly from heaven to return celestial order to our fallen world. Oprah declared his tongue to be “dipped in the unvarnished truth.” Newsweek editor Evan Thomas averred that Obama “stands above the country and above the world as a sort of a God.”
But when it comes to health care reform, with every passing day, Obama seems less God and more demagogue, uttering not transcendental truths, but bald-faced lies. Here are the top five lies that His Awesomeness has told–the first two for no reason other than to get elected and the next three to sell socialized medicine to a wary nation.
Go read the whole article. But first, here are the five things (with a bit of inline commenting):
- No one will be compelled to buy coverage (well, maybe not for a while, as such).
- No new taxes on employer benefits (not taxes that anybody really pays attention to or cares about, anyway).
- Government can control rising health care costs better than the private sector (just like everything else we do like . . . uh . . . hey . . . uh, work with me here, people).
- A public plan won’t be a Trojan horse for a single-payer monopoly (trick you all like that? right, c’mon we’re all friends here).
- Patients don’t have to fear rationing (well, not fear exactly, more like understand what we all have to contribute to the common good of society without being so selfish).